Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Rabbits and Squirrels

Hello,



The squirrels, or at least I blame the squirrels, have broken off several leaves from a begonia plant. I put those long leaf stems in water and they perked up, but I am unsure about their ability to make roots. Today I noticed that one of the poinsettias has broken limbs as well. One of the salvia is bent and small branch of the jade plant on the back porch has been taken off. It seems that everything newly outside this year is a target. Hopefully it is just curious and not malicious activity. For some reason, I suspect malicious is reserved for humans.



The other day I saw two squirrels tussling in the tree next door. They were a little higher than my second story window. One of them fell to the ground with a plot loud enough that I heard it with the windows closed. In a little bit the fallen gathered it’s self and climbed back up the tree.



Today Leroy spotted a baby rabbit in the back yard. Also a nice cute critter, but not one that I want in my garden. It is not easy to live peacefully with the entire natural world. It is interesting to me that I lived on a farm, but I think we never had trouble with squirrels or rabbits in the garden. Perhaps that is because we had a dog that had free roam of the place at all times. We also had deer on the farm, but they were quite shy and seldom seen. Now in the city, people frequently complain about the deer eating ornamental plants of one kind or another. Again the dog on the loose was probably a discouragement to deer to come close to the house.



I went to the dentist for a cleaning and check up. The new waiting room is the parking lot. They came to get me when they were ready. I answered those same questions about health and had my temperature taken. All this was done while we both were wearing a mask. It was only when I got into the chair that I took off my mask. The hygienist was wearing two masks, one on top of the other and above those masks, safety glasses. It is a new day.

Paula

No comments: