Sunday, May 24, 2020

Iowa Gnats are Back

Hello,



“Is something flying around me? I feel something tickling the back of my neck.” Leroy commented.



On inspection, there were several gnats in the air by him. When we got home he said, “One of the gnats bit me.”



The spot was about two inches in diameter, red, and swollen. I thought I had heard about putting on a paste of baking soda. Leroy did that and it soon started to look and feel better. Interesting, but I did not find that solution when I looked on line later. Did I just make that up?



As with mosquitoes, the gnats do not like me so much. However, I do not like them flying around and getting so close.



We took a nice bike ride this morning. The gnats were not yet so plentiful that it was a problem. The bikes give us more speed to evade them.



We possibly rode about 12 miles which I think was fine for my third ride this season. My bottom protested a bit. As we traversed this trail, I thought about the grandchildren riding with us. They are all getting big enough that I think they could handle it. There are certainly smaller kids with adults out there, but I have no idea how far they ride. At least I read that exercising outdoors is a good and fairly safe thing to do. I just wish I had some grandchildren living closer. I talked with one today about camping. Later I read that, depending on how you deal with it, it is one of the safest activities to do with others.



Paula

No comments: