Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Lost Keys

Hello,



This morning we got a call from a friend, offering us rhubarb and spinach. I gratefully said, “Yes!”



We live close enough that we could walk or more easily ride a bike to their house. I told Leroy about it and he decided to adjust his work time a little and we went together with bags on our bikes. This is the first time this year that I have ridden my bike. My seat and my legs noticed the different activity.



We were just on the bike trail when I heard a clunk and a clink. Leroy was behind me so I did not stop immediately, but slowed a little more gradually, stopped and hopped off the bike wondering what had fallen. I felt my jacket pocket and realized I no longer had my house key, garage key, bike key and various plastic store and library cards. This jacket has a serious hole in the pocket that I had forgotten about. Actually the pocket is not sown but, I think, glued together. The glue had come undone.



I walked back a little way, but could see nothing on the trail. Leroy helped look too. Then we both moved more into the grass thinking it must have flipped a distance away. It was getting stressful not seeing a thing. The grass was not that long how, but I wondered, “Could it hide my entire key ring?”



After a bit it seemed futile. I said maybe we could look on the way home. Leroy got to my bike first and he found the keys resting on the front derailleur. I was so happy because I had already been thinking about replacing keys and cards and what effort that would entail.



I made a rhubarb mulberry crisp and we ate some of the spinach for lunch. It was all delicious. Local organic produce!



Paula

No comments: