Friday, May 1, 2020

Friday that seems like Saturday

Hello,



More than once today, Leroy talked about what day of the week it is. He is not working on Friday and somehow the day has become Saturday in our minds. At any rate we took the afternoon off for a little car trip. We returned about half of our books to the Ely Library where we could also get some seeds from the seed library.



When I was emptying the bags at home, I forgot about the seeds being in there. We got three envelops of seeds. One of them was not secured very well and seeds fell scattered on the carpeting which hid them very well. I kept moving my hand over the surface while Leroy hunted for a flashlight. I believe we found most of them by the time we were done.



We went to a state park that is close to Ely. We had not been there for some time. It was great to sit and look at the water and people from a distance. The path on the dam is quite wide so we walked across it. On the way back I noticed a younger woman who had two children with her than I saw that she was talking to a third. I thought she moved like one of the Ely library patrons. I called out her first name thinking that if she did not respond it would not be her. She did look up and seemed quite pleased to see me.



We chatted for quite some time with good social distancing and the wind whipping past us to take any droplets a long distance away. We library workers have often commented that we should be social workers or counselors. This woman almost immediately started talking about her life situation which is not so good at the moment. As Leroy said later, “She was ok to have me hear it as well.”



I am not really a counselor, but I do find that very satisfying when people feel safe enough to share their issues with me. I guess it helps me to feel worthwhile.



Paula

No comments: