Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Groundhogs – dead or alive

Hello,



Sunday afternoon when walking with my young friend we saw an animal in the road that appeared dead. He said, “I think that is an opossum.”



“I do not think so because it does not have the naked tail. I suspect that it is a groundhog since we have seen one in this area.” I said.



We walked a little farther when he speculated, “It might be a raccoon.”



At that point I had to walk back and get a closer look. This animal, while it had a little bit of a bushy tail, did not have any of the characteristic black rings of a raccoon. I went back to my original Identification. That certainly was the closest that I have been to a groundhog, if it was a groundhog.



When Leroy and I walked Monday morning there was no animal in the road. Did someone remove it? Or was it not really dead even though it had been on its back with legs in the air?



Later Leroy went for a walk by himself and he did see a live groundhog a bit farther up the hill. Lately he has had all the luck spotting the live animals. Are they not out when I am there or is he better at seeing what is in the vicinity? Anyway I am jealous.



My walk monitor reported that last week I logged 89,945 steps with the best day at 14,152. Staying home more is good for something.



Paula

No comments: