Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Fruits and veggies gone!

Hello,



This morning it was time to make a trip to the store. We, in Iowa, do not have a shelter in place rule. Pictures that show an empty interstate are not Cedar Rapids. It was not as crowded as usual, but there were still quite a few cars.



Hand sanitizer, wipes and mask were part of my arsenal.  I washed hands and took along gloves. Leroy and I worked on the list so I would not forget anything that we really wanted.



There were only two apples and four onions left in the house. That was all of the produce. Except when moving, we have not had that happen. As Leroy said, “This frig is about empty.”



I still have some canned things, some frozen packages as well as dried beans. We could have gone for a longer time, but we both miss the fresh foods.



The store was marked with directional signs to keep us going in the same direction so we would not meet others. Some people apparently did not see the signs.



Most people were wearing masks, but not all. Some people stepped up close. I just stepped out of the way and waited for them to move on.



Has it been two or three weeks since I have gotten groceries? It almost felt that it was new territory as some things had changed although there were still some empty places on the shelf. I found plenty of fresh produce. It must not be such a “hot” item.



We are grateful we can still go to the grocery story, that we have money to pay for what we need and that most people respect others enough to give them space.



Paula

No comments: