Monday, April 20, 2020

Gardening

Hello,



This afternoon Leroy and I headed off to the community garden carrying gloves, a potato fork, and two small diggers. Unfortunately after I got there I realized I needed to walk back home to get a left hand glove. I have brought two right handed without really checking on them. Unfortunately the gloves were not large enough that I could wear a right glove on my left hand. Oh well that means I got my 10,000 steps.



Leroy had dug 16 holes by the time I returned and had settled into weeding. His plan is to put in cabbage and broccoli when they are purchased by another member of the community. He dug the holes in the new section of the garden which was just used last year for tomatoes. Apparently not much digging was done last year because he found three bricks. He feels it was probably from fill dirt.



Doing all this by hand takes a lot of energy. I found I got tired of the weeding sooner than I thought I should. Creeping Charlie was making some inroads on one side. I remembered that I had not weeded over there last fall. Obviously it is not a good idea to skip that chore. Hopefully I will get more done this year.



We also found a lot of earth worms which lifted our spirits. We carefully put them back if they were tangled in the roots of weeds. They are our helper.



We put the weeds in two five gallon buckets and Leroy carried them home to put in the yardy. The yardy is the bin that can take all of the natural items that come from a yard as well as any compostable table scraps to the city compost site. I am so happy to live in a place where we can do this. If we want the end result, it is available for pick up.



Paula

No comments: