Thursday, January 31, 2013

Snowy roads


Hello,

I was happy to be going to work today. The local streets were not clear of snow, but it had been plowed so we can move around on top of the snow. At least no one expects to go faster than a crawl. The ramp to the interstate was the hardest part as it goes uphill and had more slush and ice on it than the street. The interstate appeared clear to me, but cars were moving more slowly than I expected. Before I was to exit, all cars in all three lanes ahead of me slowed a great deal. I was afraid of an accident ahead, but it proved to be nothing that I could see.

As I remembered from my earlier life, the Ely road is the worst with the pavement barely visible after a snow storm. At least the road was discernible from the shoulder. I seldom went much over 30 mph and I made it in fine shape.

There were more people at the library than I had been expecting. School was delayed for two hours. A school bus stops close to the library and many kids had come in to wait in the warm inside. It was never a busy day, but a steady trickle of people came though out the day. Many of them wanted to use the computers or brought their own computer and used the wifi.

I was a bit concerned about the trip home because so many people came in talking about the wind being so strong. It was obvious that the snow plow had been through recently giving me a tolerable drive home. I did like living where using buses and having no car was possible. It was great to let the bus driver be concerned about traffic, etc.

I will work again on Saturday. I am hoping that the roads are much improved by then, but it is not so likely with the cold temperatures, strong winds, and some bits of new snow. At least I do not have to come home in the dark. Somehow that seems easier.

Paula

No comments: