Wednesday, January 23, 2013

HoneyBells


Hello,

Until yesterday I have never heard of a HoneyBell. That changed when a box appeared between our landlord’s front doors. Our landlord called me at work, “There was a package between our doors. We brought it in and then learned that it was for you. I put in on the back porch.”

“I am at work so I will call Leroy and let him know as he should be home now,” I said. Because I was at work she called Leroy. Only later did I remember that he had a meeting after work and would not be home either.

Those HoneyBells endured some cold weather in the 20s before I came home and rescued them. HoneyBells are a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit. They came complete with two bibs because they are so juicy. I stuffed an entire section in my mouth at once so I did not get too much juice outside of my mouth. Just in case I also ate it while standing over the sink. There is a limited window of opportunity to indulge in this fruit as its season is only about four weeks long.

Sarah and Stephen have given us this very nice gift. Thanks again! Can another exotic fruit be coming next month? Are there more that I have never heard of? I wrote to the company and suggested that leaving fruit from Florida outside in the Iowa winter might not be a good idea.

Paula

No comments: