Monday, January 28, 2013

On the Bike and Books to read


Hello,

Leroy seldom calls me from work, but he rode the bike this morning. He wanted to make sure that he had left his wedding ring at home since it was not on his finger. Then too he had to tell me that he found the only patch of ice left on the street. “I was leaning into the curve to go from the street to the trail when I just slid right down. I am not hurt, but a bit sore. It was a sheltered place so I suppose that is why there was still ice there.”

I am glad to see the fog lift some and hopefully it will be gone by the time I need to drive to work. It seems to me that people do not slow down enough for fog believing that they will be safe and can stop in a shorter distance than they actually can.

I too miss getting out on the bike, but the cold air in my ears convinces me that it is not a good idea. I did a.m. yoga instead. I have also been doing some Tai chi although mostly the warm up exercises as I still have not been able to remember of follow through the routine. Some day it will all click? I notice that my back feels so good with just the warm up.

I have just finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. It sucked me right in at the very beginning. The main character is old so do you suppose that was a factor? He was certainly someone that did an amazing thing by walking to mail a letter and just kept going.

I am also reading, for our book club, The Room by Emma Donoghue. Someone who had already read it pronounced it “good, but terrible.” I would say that is about right. I am half way and it keeps me interested, but I find I do not want to read it before I go to bed.

Another book in my book basket that I have started is The End of Your Life book club by Will Schwalbe. It is a much quieter book. It is also interesting to me even though I have not read or even heard of many of these books. Great to work in a library where the new books all go across my desk! Usually though I think, “That would be good” and then forget what it was when I am looking for something to read.

Paula

No comments: