Sunday, January 6, 2013

Food


Hello,

Leroy and I have managed to eat up much of the food we had purchased just for the children’s visit, especially food that had been opened. There is a stack of other items that we will take to the food bank donations at church. That will really help to clean out our cupboards and maybe even arteries. I have been eating more sweets than usual. That makes me think I can eat more. I was given a box of chocolate covered nuts by someone at work. Influenced by all of the things I had been eating and all the talk about the virtues of chocolate I thought I would eat one of these, hoping that it would be more nut than chocolate. One bite convinced me that it was beyond my capacity. Leroy finished that piece and graciously took the rest to his work place where half of the box was gone by noon. It took the rest of the evening before I felt good again. My body simply rebels against all of these so called “good things”.

Soon we will only have plain food in the house once again. And I will like that much more.

Not that they have so much sugar per flour ratio, but krumkake have plenty of fats such as butter and whipping cream. We did make some krumkake. When Leroy was at seminary I learned to make these with our Norwegian landlady. They are a bit work intensive as each is made individually. Interesting but I do not think of so many traditions that I do from my family. Leroy’s family provided the ravioli recipe. And we got the fastnachts from Pennsylvania when he was on internship.

My mother made mincemeat pie, but that would be tough for me to make since I would have to get meat and probably can huge quantities of it according to her recipe. Liver sausage is another tough thing requiring a pig’s head. Then there is suet pudding. That might be easier if I can find suet fit for human consumption. It seems my family food traditions all revolved around butchering and having our own meat.

Paula

No comments: