Saturday, January 10, 2009

Poor Amaryllis

Hello,

Yesterday I bought a clearance amaryllis. I carefully chose one that did not have a visible bud stem. I did not pry the box open so I missed the stem that had despairingly fallen to the bottom of the box. I followed the directions for planting this bulb. Directions said to wet the soil disk, break it apart and put 1/3 in the bottom of the pot. It took more finger work than I thought it would, but I finally got the thing apart. It really seemed more like sawdust than soil, but what do I know about such things. I have planted the bulb and placed it on the dining room table where it should get enough light to drive away anemia. I think that if it can not bloom this year I will have it ready for next year.

Leroy read the directions for the malaria pills. It said we were to keep them in the dark, oops, I left them on the table in the sun and in room temperature of 72 degrees. Well that warm is not going to happen here. I hope they survive as a viable medicine. We do not have to take them until we are ready to go to an infected area. That means not until after we get to Kenya. Hopefully they will not make us sick. My body is in training to withstand anything.

I am now boiling up the last pumpkin that we have. Because he did a better job, Leroy is roasting the seeds. I think we will have some more pumpkin soup. That will about finish our summer produce. We ate the last, picked by Paula, apple last week. We felt as if we should have had a little ceremony for it. We still have a few frozen apples and a few frozen mulberries. Then there is one small frozen jar of cider and much applesauce as well as some pickles. We are rich indeed!

Yesterday on the ride home from Des Moines I saw a flock of about 20 wild turkeys. Then later there was an equally large herd of deer off in the field.

Paula

No comments: