Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cold

Hello,

I thought it was to be warmer today. It appeared that way when I saw that it was 20 degrees as I started my walk to the quilting group. “This wind is not good,” I thought as I headed north, “but surely it will be better when I get on a different street.”

Well nothing helped I was quite cold by the time I got to church. I had thrown away my favorite mittens because they now had a hole in the liners for both hands. I did not get out their very warm replacement because I surely did not need it today. To help my hands I put one hand in my pocket and the other was holding something so I just kept it out and then exchanged after a time. When I got to church my legs, hands and face were cold. It reminded me of some of the coldest days in Slovakia when the temperature did not seem that low, but the cold was just penetrating. Ten minutes can certainly be a long walk on such a day. It was a little better when I walked home, but not much as I had hoped.

I am so happy I found a scarf that goes nicely with one of my coats. It had been lost for a week. It was put on a hanger that is not its usual home and covered up by another scarf. Now who would have done such a thing? Being lost increased its value to me; while it was lost this scarf became my favorite.

Today I washed another scarf and my coat so I am ready for a trip to Minnesota. We will not take boots. That is a bit scary for me since my toes have been hurting a little (I think it is frostbite), but I do not want to deal with boots on the bus or the plane. Pray that all transportation works so I am not standing around in the cold. Yesterday and today I walked without boots. As long as I am moving, my toes feel fine so I think all of this should work. Surely in February the weather will be warm in Minnesota, but then perhaps not. I think the first year Leroy was in seminary we experienced 11days below zero in February. Global warming will help here.

Paula

No comments: