Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Sagging

Hello,

As soon as I came home last night after driving through much unexpected snow, Leroy said, “So glad you are home safe and, stand up straight.”

A little shaft of irritation shot through me. “I’m standing up straight,” I rather shortly replied.

“I read your letter,” Leroy responded with a grin, I am working on my skill set.”

This morning without any mention from me, he got out the vacuum and proceeded to clean the traffic areas of the carpeting. Have I created a guy who has gone amok?

So I only told him to sit up straight two times this morning and not the five I would have liked to slap on the table.

It seems there is always room for growth and learning. I thought I might be through with that learning stuff when I turned 21. Now I know that it never stops, but I still gaze down the road and think at some time I surely will have arrived.

I was rather nervous about driving home last night as it had snowed all afternoon and was still snowing. I had boots in the car so I put them on after I gingerly put my feet in the snow to get to the car. Why did I not bring them inside since it was starting to snow when I got to work? The prediction was for just a little snow, not an inch or two. These boots are the best warm boots I have, but it is a bit awkward to drive with them on. Starting the car was the hardest part because I have to get the clutch in to a certain point and I seemed to miss it the first two times I tried, thinking, “What am I going to do if I cannot get this car started.”

The Ely blacktop seems to be the last road in the area to be cleared, but the snow was light and fluffy because of the cold so it was not hard to drive on it. It was slipperier as I got closer to more traffic. So I took it slow on the interstate. I noticed that I was not being passed by people especially on those notorious curves that are without ground under them which causes them to freeze more easily. It was no trouble for which I am grateful. For all I know I sagged the entire trip home. I certainly had an unnecessarily firm grip on the steering wheel.

My new Medicare card came in the mail yesterday. It will not be valid until February first. I am impressed that it came so quickly. The woman at the desk had assured me that it would come on time, but I had not thought it would be this soon. Am I now all ready for old age?


Paula

No comments: