Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Cold

Hello,

How do birds keep their skinny little legs warm when it is cold around them? I have seen a number of them out hunting for food, but surely that cannot be the entire answer.

I had gone to the Doctor for a general check up last week. It seemed busy because I had just gotten back from SLT the day before. It was cold that day, but nothing like it is now. The office is only about ½ mile away so it was no problem. The Dr. told me that I could do a walk – in mammogram, would I like to do that? When I agreed she sent off the request via the Internet. Because this Dr.’s office is associated with the hospital that is a little bit farther for me to walk I told her that last year I had gone to the other closer place. She informed me that that was fine, but I would have to take a printed request and to be sure to pick that up before leaving the office.

With printout in hand I headed off to the hospital, wondering if it would really be there or in the new facility they now had about a block away. At the hospital they obviously did not know what to do with a walk in person. They did call the department and everyone wanted to know my appointment time. After some discussion it was decided I could just come. The person at the desk sent me off with a volunteer to find this place in the hospital. It was not in the direction I had gone last time. I asked the volunteer if things had been moved around. “It happens all the time,” he told me, panting as he struggled to keep up. I did slow down.

When we got to the designated place, it was not it; instead it was the psych ward. We then turned around and made our way back. Would I have to carry this guy, can he make it? I wondered, but then he apologized for all the walking. So he could at least still talk. Once back at the start, the person at the desk called that number again and inquired, “Where are you?” explaining that I could not find them.

It was indeed in the new building. There, at least I knew I should go upstairs and I found that office in short order.

When I went up to the desk, I said, “I’m the one..”

And she interrupted with a smile on her face, “Oh, you’re the one, but we can take you soon.”

I had taken a while at the Dr. My appointment was at 10:30 and it was 1:30 by the time I got home. Lunch was certainly in order. I was grateful for leftovers.


Paula

No comments: