Friday, December 13, 2013

Three Days Off

Hello,

I do like three days off in a row. That is one of the great things about half time work. I can have some time to relax, read, and contemplate my navel wondering why I am so lucky not to collect lint as Leroy does.

Sometimes I get the impression that people think poor people are lazy. I think not. The other day while walking on a sometimes slippery sidewalk, to the local grocery store I saw a young woman come out of her house with two laundry baskets piled high with clothes. She was on her way to the Laundromat two or three blocks away. As I watched she slid down on one knee, managed to maintain most of her balance, struggled to get up and continued on her way. I was catching up to her so I called out to her asking, “Would you like some help?”

She turned and looked at me and waited a bit for me to approach. “I could take one basket,” I said.

She hesitated, but let me take the top basket. It was amazingly heavy. I could not imagine starting out with two such weights. We
Chatted a little as we went on our way. Seems to me this is not a lazy person. But one who puts in much more effort to get clean clothes.

It certainly makes me newly grateful for the washer and dryer in our apartment. What a blessing!

Course during those days off, I do work around the house and manage most of the shopping. I can tell it is closer to Christmas as there were more people in the stores today. I have barely thought about things to get Leroy even though he keeps trying to get suggestions from me. I am just not a good shopper, I mostly just want to purchase something that I have in mind before I set foot in the store and get out of the store as soon as I have found it. Unfortunately it does not always work that way.


Paula

No comments: