Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Happenings

Hello,

Leroy and I did not walk this morning because I needed to make a batch of dough before we left for church and we had not managed to get up with enough time to spare. The temperature registered zero degrees F. so we did not cry and moan. As I pulled up the curtain I noticed two guys in the park on the Frisbee Golf course. These guys at least had on coats, hats, and mittens.

Yesterday we went out on the cross country skis and noticed that someone had cleaned off the launching pads of the Frisbee course. They had probably just used their boots or hands, but it was done. Early in the afternoon I happened to look out and see a number of people at one of the tables as well as the fireplace close by. I even saw one of those small bikes they use on the bike/skateboard ramps.

For Sunday school this morning there was an intergenerational activity that involved making bread. I led that. We started with dough that was ready to knead and shape. During that time I gave instructions and a small demo about how to. After they had cleaned up we went on to starting bread from the beginning. First I showed them wheat berries. I regretted having sold my mill ten years ago so it could not be ground into flour in front of them. I let the kids smell the yeast in the jar as many had not seen it before. Also when I proofed the yeast they again smelled it. As I added the flour I had them stir it. They rather liked doing that but thought it was hard before it was ready. Then in the end I kneaded the bigger lump of dough. After that Leroy talked about bread in the bible. Did you know that bread is mentioned more than 300 times?

All in all I had a great time. Many of the “kids” seemed to like it a lot. We had cubes of the whole wheat bread that we eat on a regular basis at home. I did not want to waste too much bread so the pieces were bit sized. Some of them even liked it and took a second piece. After the bread demo was finished we had soup and bread that baked as we talked. During the meal time the kids’ bread was baked so they could take it home.

Paula

No comments: