Thursday, January 27, 2011

Lost

Hello,

At 10:00 I had another hair cut appointment that was a free deal from the greeter. Since it was in a part of town I am not very familiar with I looked it up on MapQuest, thought, “I can manage that,” but set out early anyway. I did not take the directions with me as it seemed like something I could do without. First I did not see a sign for the street that I needed, knew I had gone too far, turned around, and tried another unsuccessful street. After that I turned around and tried another muttering that if it did not work out I would look at the map. Looked at the map, turned around again, but still did not spot the turn off. By that time I was over the highway. The next logical move seemed to be to go back to a road that I know and try another approach because I knew how to get on this street at the other end. I hadn’t really been lost I just couldn’t find my destination.

I know Americans do not like to be told what to do, but I think there should be a law that house numbers be two feet tall and made of flashing neon lights especially when I am being followed closely by any number of impatient people who know where they are going. At 9:56, after spotting their rather large sign, I drove into the parking lot, gathered my purse, locked the car door, noted a lack of cars, and pulled on the door that would not open. Peering in, I could see no lights. Is this the wrong day? The wrong time? What to do? I went back into the warm car, searched for a pen and paper since I knew that they listed their cell phone numbers on the voice mail. Just as I was calling a car pulled in beside me, a woman got out, apologized, and let me in. She gave me a good hair cut. She looked at my hair and noticed it was naturally curly. That increased my confidence in her ability. I have had cutters ask me if it is natural when they have cut about half of it and frequently their cut is not the best. She also suggested a shampoo for my curly hair as well as a good diffuser blow dryer that cost $65 on sale. I passed on the dryer, but I am a bit tempted by the shampoo. Can I spend so much money on my looks? Not yet but maybe when I am really old.

Paula

No comments: