Saturday, January 17, 2015

Poinsettias

Hello,

I am getting a reputation at church as being the person who will save poinsettias. I never said a word to anyone this year, but last Monday Leroy called home to tell me, “They are getting rid of the distressed poinsettias and wondered if you would want them.”

Course I took them because they have a lot of life left in them. Also, I did not want to think of them being tossed on the compost heap at this time in their lives. I now have seven reds massed together on my living room floor next to the peace lily. Apparently there are a few more that I will get this Monday. All of the white ones are going to go to a different home. Last year I still had red leaves in June. They all spent the summer outside growing and expanding under the sun and the warmth of my admiration and affection. I felt a small twinge of guilt when I let the frost have them. But I do not have room for the large plants they had become.

A friend was going through pictures and sent me a picture of our family of five. Leroy and I do not know the year it was taken, but we think we must have lived in Ely because Sarah was in 4th grade when we moved there, Brian in 1st, and Miriam was four. All the children look older than that.

I put that picture as the desktop background on the laptop. The only problem was that it covers the entire screen. I used to know how to make it just in the center. I liked to do that because then the icons were just around it and not on it. Now Brian was covered with icons. Ironically two of them were squarely over his eyes. With much thought and perhaps a little carelessness I put many icons in the trash or in another folder until I brought Brian into the picture with the rest of us. I have posted that picture on social media, but I know that some of you do not participate in that so I am attaching it to this letter for you to enjoy also. Surely you will enjoy? Those of you who do not know our children personally can tell who is who by knowing that Sarah is older than Miriam.


Paula


No comments: