Monday, January 12, 2015

Amazing Vase

Hello,

Last night I told Leroy I would like to have a date with him to put together the puzzle vase that I received as a Christmas gift. I really wanted some hand holding as this vase looked a little daunting on the box in spite of the fact that an eight year old was supposed to be able to put it together. The end result is a three dimensional object that will hold water and cut flowers.

The water makes sense because a cup or cylinder was included in the box. The rest I was not so sure about. We opened up the packages took out a stand, the cup, a ring for the top, a ring for the bottom, and 160 pieces. It was easy to sort out the pieces that were the top as they had a straight edge. The bottom ring was also not hidden because they had little locking grooves in them. After that it appeared quite a mystery as there were many colors of flowering plants on the vase along with some birds and, oh no, white space. It was not long before we realized that the back of the pieces had a number and an orientation arrow.

Leroy almost immediately started looking for the next number. I stayed with the idea of the color and shape, but gradually shifted to looking for the number. Then Leroy sorted the numbers in groups of ten. I asked him to then leave them picture side showing. That worked for awhile. I tried to not feel that I was cheating if I looked at the back. After a bit I asked him to orientate the pieces. He mostly did that, but did not always seem to get it right.

It was tricky to put the pieces on. Certainly working in order helped them to stay in place. Some were so hard to snap in that I had to have Leroy do that. Once in a while some of them would fall out. We got the job done with two people aged 67 and 65 working steadily for an hour or a little more. It looks great.




Paula

No comments: