Wednesday, January 7, 2015

New Framing

Hello,

Six months later we now have our family picture hanging in the kitchen. We had those photos taken back in July. It was a long time before we even saw the pictures. After that it was a question of choosing them. Miriam told me she would be happy to have them printed at the cheapest place in Utah. That worked out well although it took several trips to the store. By the way, we had to crop and adjust color on our own. Andy even helped photo shop (Is photo shop the proper expression?) out something in the background that made it look as if Miriam had a giant bow on her head. He tried to open my eyes, but was unsuccessful at doing that. I decided that was ok as I was mostly interested in the other people’s appearance. As it was the sun and my myopic solving glasses did away with much of my eyes.

After I took the pictures home from Utah I noticed that I had not properly protected them and three of them were slightly bent. At Christmas time I got replacements from Miriam. She tells me that she picked them up on the way to the airport. Seems to me that is leaving it to the last minute. At least now they all looked good. Oh no, when I got the framer one of the bent photos had not been replaced or I somehow misplaced it. It did not look so noticeable so I just let it go.

Today I went to pick up the frame. This was the same arrangement that we had before so we were just replacing the pictures and having a new mat put in. It looked good. It consists of one 8 x10 of the entire group surrounded by various poses.

At the store the woman asked if I wanted to drive up and they would hand me the picture. I said, “That is ok as I have parked close.”

As soon as I stepped out of the door I was struggling with the wind for control of the 2 foot by 3 foot frame. I had put up my hood, slid on my gloves, and retrieved my car keys before leaving the building. But the wind wanted my hood too. So I turned my body in an odd posture.

A young man walked past and said, “Do you need help?”

Silly independent me said, “No thanks, I am fine.”

At the car, however, I wished that I had allowed him that small assistance. In order to open the car door, after unlocking with the key fob, I had to balance my foot on the car wheel rim that has a nice slot for just such a purpose? Then the picture was balanced on my knee as I let loose with one hand and opened the door about two inches. The next step was to grab the picture with both hands, pick up my big foot, stick in the small door opening and bring it back toward myself. I moved the picture in and on the back seat. As I was letting go I realized that my key scratched along the top of the frame. At home after removing the plastic covering I found that the plastic took the beating and the frame was fine.

Now I see a piece of lint under the glass. The person at the store had said it was under the plastic and not under the glass. I am also bothered because the glass is glaring. It did not before with the other pictures. I think I had gotten non-glare glass. What happened?

I will have to take this picture back. I dislike dealing with this type of thing, but it will wait for a day when Leroy can help me as doors are definitely a problem. Thanks to my landlord who saw me when I came home and opened all house doors for me. That was certainly the best deal.

Paula

No comments: