Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Drive to Work

Hello,

On Thursday mornings I do yoga at 8:00 am. So I get on the road at 7:30 so I can set up and have the door open for the participants.

I went up the ramp to get on the interstate and noticed that traffic was moving slowly, much slower than usual. I moved into the lane with some hesitation. I could stay in the lane that I use to come on and just get off at the next exit, meander through town, and go to work the back way. After a bit of consideration I did move back over to the exit lane, but decided that traffic was still moving and it would surely go faster later so I speeded up a little to get ahead of some cars where there was a bit more space. Are the other drivers thinking that I just used that ploy to get ahead of others? Before the next exit I noticed that traffic in the oncoming lanes was stopped. I could see flashing lights from emergency vehicles on both sides. A couple cars ahead of me moved into another long exit lane again I thought that might be my best move so I followed. I had not been there long when I noticed that traffic going my direction was speeding up a little. I once again made that move to get ahead of some others as the cars next to me were packed together. Now I have moved forward quite a bit, hoping that no one is cursing me as someone who budges in line.

It was not long after this that I saw the tow truck gathering up a dented truck. After that we seemed to be in the clear and it was business as usual, just a bit slower. Frost was visible on the road surface so perhaps all decided to respect that.

All the yoga people had gotten there before me, but I still managed to get set up and ready without starting very late.

Later in the day I learned that there were accidents on both sides of the road on those notorious curves. I was fortunate to have gotten through in a timely manner.


Paula

No comments: