Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Arts and Crafts, Who Me?

Hello,

Before you ask me to complete any project that might be in the arts and crafts area, read the following.

At some point my mother embroidered her grandchildren’s’, children’s, and my parents names on napkins. She did not really embroider, but just used the sewing machine and made a quite simple stitch doing cursive letters. I do not think it was easy. It seemed to me that everyone liked finding their own napkin when we visited. I thought it would be a great idea to do that now. I had spoken with Jen about it. She too thought it ws a good idea so she got eight nice napkins second hand, after all we would not want to put too much money into this idea. I am not sure how long she held on to these napkins before she realized she was not going to get at this grand scheme. She asked me if I would like to finish the task.

I readily agreed, thinking that I would be able to do this in short order. However, I put them aside and forgot about them. Rather I did not totally forget, but would wonder how to do this so it would not be too hard. This thinking and wondering went on for a year or two or maybe three. Last year before Christmas as I anticipated the visit of Sarah’s and Miriam’s families I thought I should get this task done. Well after discussions with my sister I managed to decide on printing rather than cursive. Actually I never considered cursive for long, it seemed too hard. I cut some paper the size of the napkin and experimented writing the grandchildren’s names in the space. After I felt competent I wrote the names on the napkins in non washable black marker. After all it seemed to me that black behind the stitching would not detract and besides I would be able to see and follow it. Somehow it was getting too close to Christmas and I was feeling stressed so I put all that aside once more to be completed at a calm time.

Paula

No comments: