Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Stewed and Solved


Hello,

I opened an online account for myself at the Ely Library. Part of the reason for doing this was so that I would know how to help patrons and offer suggestions so they could renew their books at home. It was quite simple to open this account, but I did not use it for some time. The other day when I wanted to renew a book, I could not get in. It seems that I could not remember my user name. I was frustrated, but not stopped as I could sign as the person working the circulation desk even though I was at home and renew that way, but it felt like cheating. Also I wanted to access my account. I knew I had written it down, but could not longer find the paper.

Last night a patron told me that she had signed up but also seemed to have forgotten her password or perhaps her user name. Unfortunately I was little help to her as I could not even help myself.

Today was the day to solve this issue that I had stewed about and dreamed about. At home, I finally went into the system as the administrator. That is the user name and password I use to open cataloging. When in the system at this level I have access to almost everything or perhaps everything. It is necessary to be careful so I do not make any unwanted global changes.

I could get deep enough into my account that I could find my user name. By adding my birth date I could then create a new password. I have put that all on a piece of paper, but surely I will remember it? I filed it in a good place that I searched when looking for the last paper. I could have gone back out of administration and tried the password that I thought I had with the proper username, but I did not want to go through all the steps again, plus, I really do not care who knows how old I am.

Leroy put up two more shelves last night. He now has two and maybe three more to put in. He said, “I am ready to be done with shelves.” Soon it will be so.

Paula

No comments: