Saturday, May 12, 2012

Bike Rides


Hello,

Leroy went on a bike ride Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I just rode the last two days. Thursday he only went about 10 miles. Last night we rode about 15 miles.

Today, Saturday we rode to Ely, just a little less than 25 miles round trip, to read the paper and shared a quick greeting with some people there.

I packed food for snacks or a recharge of the bike battery, depending on how you look at it. Leroy thought I was being excessive. Before we got to Ely I was feeling quite drained and in need of some sustenance. We stopped at the end of the trail on a bench by the pond. It was quite nice to see and eat as we watched four boys fishing. One of them called, “Come see the fish we caught.”

“Ok,” I said as I got up and moved over to their buckets. Before I got all the way over one of plunged his hands inside one bucket and pulled up a fish that was probably over a foot long.

“It’s a bluegill that my brother caught,” he announced as his brother ran up to take some pride in ownership.

“Will you eat it?” I inquired but knew from their slightly horrified looks that it would be a no.

“We just caught it accidently,” one of them said.

“Are you going to let it go,” I wondered.

“After our grandma sees it,” was the reply.

In retrospect we think Ely was a long way to go to read the paper, but had other benefits as well. We ate all of the food I had packed, felt the wind in our hair, felt the sun come out, and greeted people.

Paula

No comments: