Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Excited too Soon


Hello,

That site for the z sources has 16 million records. I think it checks all of them by sending a guy running around to look for it. Some records it did not find and some took almost 15 minutes. One site on the internet talked about the software that the library has as not being so good after they updated it. In fact, while waiting for the record to be found it is possible to make a pot of tea including putting the kettle on. I did find six records and that is still very nice. I am not sure that all of the time is justified. I must figure out something that I can do as I am waiting for it to search.

Leroy tells me he has never heard of it taking so long. I suspect that someone goofed in the update for this software. When questioned the tech support people had no help or suggestions. I do not know what this software costs, but I would guess it is a few thousand.

Leroy’s work place is getting new cataloging software. He is a little excited about that, but they are having two hour training sessions everyday this week. That is overwhelming because of the amount of information that is passed on and there is no “hands on” so he is not sure he will remember much. At least two others are listening as well so they can ask each other. Leroy said he almost took a nap. I suspect that means he snoozed a little. Soon the move to the new building will be complete and the software in place.

My special girls were in again last evening. We had a nice time together. Perhaps it was good that I had asked them to leave the day before. I know that others have some trouble with them too. At least it is not just me, but how to solve these issues is tricky. It is nice that it is not school so they do not have to stay with us and when they are too out of control they can go some other place.

Paula

No comments: