Sunday, May 13, 2012

People on the Trail


Hello,

There were not as many people on the trail yesterday as we have seen on some other days. However, there were still plenty of people who breezed past without a bit of notice other than an advancing tiny tire noise. Then I am always grateful that I stayed to my side of the path and was not parallel with Leroy. Others do give some warning so we know enough to hang right and are not startled as they zip around. Some of the speeders were going so fast that we actually saw them three times. I wonder if they were using this path as training ground for some future event. It does have a few small hills and some curves creating a bit of interest.

Then there was that guy whose radio was playing so loudly that we knew he was around about a mile away and a mile after. I was happy to hear the birds sing again when the radio faded into the distance. It might have been great music to listen to, but at that moment I found it intrusively blocking nature.

There was a place that they had blocked off on the trail. I could not convince Leroy, on the way to Ely, that we should take it as I had seen people over there when I drove to work. We rode on the paved road that is almost like a highway. I found it unnerving to ride on it even thought it used to be the only place we could ride. I realized that I was tucking my car side elbow in as the cars often did not move over very much. I learned that two cars and a bike will still fit. Leroy did not take too much persuading to trying the trail on the way back as there was no barrier on the south end. It was wonderfully relaxing. There was no problem with the trail, but just a road it crosses. All we had to do was lift the bikes over the plastic fence.

At that point we met three kids who had stopped by the barrier. Their mother came running up. Isn’t that a terrific way for a family to get out, exercise, and have fun?  She said they lived close to the trail. I was pleased to see in one area that many people have steps and little bridges that gave them access to the trail. I get the feeling the pubs and eating establishments to a good business because of this trail activity.

Paula

No comments: