Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Weeding

Hello,

I have put in a full day today. On my “to do” list was weed the flower bed. There are two, but I figured that one a day was enough to tackle. I choose the smaller, but more weedy of the two. I am not sure that it was easier. Some of the weeds were so low growing with extensive roots that I could not get a grip on them. Creeping Charley is here too, but not welcome. Leroy said, “I will use the potato fork and get them out as I turn over all of the soil.”

I had done most of the bed by the time my back complained too much. I do not think I have ever had a back complain when I weeded. I think it was the 6.5 hours of sitting in the car the day before that really made the difference.

Tonight after supper we sat on the porch and admired our work as the rain came pouring down. Would you believe that Leroy and I almost never sit and visit with each other? I wondered if we were well. The flower bed just looks so good compared to the last view of it. Now I want to put some more mums in there.

I brought home five small perennials from Brian’s yard. These non gardening people are trying to get rid of them. They just mow them off and the tenacious ones keep coming back. I thought the plants were dead when I got home but with water and a night’s coolness they look great. I will put them in the last flower bed that needs weeding. If it does not rain too much I can do that tomorrow.

Last night we watched the sun go down across the parking lot and this morning we watched it come up over the Mississippi. In the morning we waited so long and thought we could not see it because of clouds. As we were walking away one of us turned back to see a red slice coming up so we waited for the entire show. So nice! The best things in life are free.

Paula

No comments: