Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hill? What hill? Gasp?

Hello,

Burlington is a Mississippi River town. Translate that into serious hills. Leroy had ridden his bike to a church that is down the hill and declared it took about everything he had to come back up.

Today we rode bikes to the post office and library. It is only about 2.5 miles to the Post Office. We start on the level and then float downhill. So it was basically no work, however, getting to the library entrance proved a bit challenging. Short but steep would describe the two block ride between the addresses. I believe I passed the point of being able to speak before I got to the top of the hill, not really the top, but just in the middle where I needed to be. If I had had to go higher it would have required walking for this chick.

We had some discussion about the possible routes home, long and gradual climb or short and intense. I finally voted for the latter mostly because when I come on my own I want to know alternate routes and I did know the long and gradual since we had come down that way.

This was not quite as harsh as getting to the library, but I was appropriately grateful to reach the top. It helped to have a car go by and I did not want to have them see me get off the bike and walk. Gave me enough of a boost to make it all the way up. At least I know I can make it. Now if I can just do this three times a week I will get stronger, right? Then it will all be easy, maybe.

We can ride on the level for a lot of distance. It seems to be just such extremes.

Paula

No comments: