Saturday, September 4, 2010

Junk and Hoppers

Burlington, IA

Hello,

I think one of the heavy decisions of moving is where the junk will reside. Where is that junk drawer when I need it. I miss it everyday. There is always something little thing that really does not have a home.

This morning I decided to put up the sun shade in the car that is languishing in the church parking lot. Wednesday it will move, but until then the sun shines in. While there I checked to make sure that a much searched for item had not been left inside. When I opened the trunk I noticed gobs of mud in the groove at the top of the trunk opening. Wondering how that got there I grabbed on the one on the left and realized it was a mud dapper nest (wasp). No insects seemed to be around so I just proceeded down the line, pulling them out and throwing them on the grass.

“Ugh,” I gasped as I grasped a live almost warm, soft and squish body, “What can this be?”

As I let go I took a closer look and realized it was a small frog. I coaxed it out with a piece of paper in my hand, hoping it would not hop into the trunk. It hopped and clung to the almost vertical outside of the car. Getting a bearing on its new surrounding?
Was it transported from Charlton where the car had sat for two months? Or had it taken up residence since we have been here?

Paula

No comments: