Sunday, September 5, 2010

Changes

Burlington, IA

Hello,

Some changes are big and some are small when you start living in a new place. All take some mental adjustment.

The ovens here are smaller and will not hold the cookie sheets that I use to make granola. I got those sheets from Miriam or Brian who have the same smaller ovens. I improvised by using two 9x13 pans, but the granola was too deep and it did not brown well so I had to bake it in smaller amounts. The oven not only works but I have two ovens with the same type of controls that Miriam and Brian have. It must be the same as mine is exactly like Brian’s with two ovens in the same unit. I notice that the controls are not digital so I can not be quite as precise in the temperature setting. At least I knew how to turn off the timer having done so at their houses.

The washer and dryer are on the main floor something I have experienced only one other year in the US. It was true in all three places where we lived in Slovakia. There was only one floor there.

The refrigerator is the largest I have ever lived with. Can we fill it? I am not sure that I want to. The door requires an extra push in order to close. Now Brian will really think that I close too hard.

For some reason I keep forgetting to turn off the basement light. It turns on downstairs and maybe I think I have taken care of it because it is dark at the top of the stairs.

The cabinet doors under the sink open with a slit that is up rather than the down that I am used to so my hand is pointing in the wrong direction most of the time. I will learn, but it is going to take a few more times.

The brain is staying sharp.

Paula

No comments: