Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Medicine Costs

Hello,

I get a cream that combats vaginal dryness. Last time the cost to me was $100. This time I was at a new pharmacy and the cost was $200. I dropped my jaw and did not get that cream. The pharmacy faxed my doctor to learn if there was another option. Just today I learned that the other cream co pay was only $47. I felt good about the lower price. One drug like another was what I thought. After I got home I started thinking about the fact that the dosage on this drug is half of what I used with the original. I suspect this is one of those times when the Dr. really thinks I should use the pricier product, but the insurance company will not cover it so well.

I had stopped at my former pharmacy where my insurance company must be hashing out a deal with this provider. I was hoping that I could get it at the earlier cost, if so I would have my Dr. send the script there. The pharmacist said that my company still was not covered by them, however he believes that in the fall when I need a flu shot, they will have a contract in place.

It also makes me think about how my shingles shot cost more than twice what Leroy spent. I wonder if the second pharmacy has a different deal with the insurance company. There is certainly much that we consumers know nothing about. It is difficult to know what the best deal is, let alone get it.

I am grateful for: health care providers, pharmacies, insurance, and money to pay the difference.

I am also grateful that my overall health is good so I do not need many of these services often. I pray for all those on the fringes who are not receiving the care they should.


Paula

No comments: