Friday, March 24, 2017

Eyes and Skin

Hello,

I had my eyes checked today. My cataracts have grown, especially in one eye. I am getting stronger glasses. At first he talked about having the surgery soon, but then said, “My recommendation is that you wait a year since they are so slow growing. However, if things change drastically before a year is up, come back so we can plan. In the meantime I am prescribing new glasses which will bring your focus better, but not 20/20. You can drive.”

Both he and the optician talked about the strength of my prescription. They also both talked about how I will be so amazed after the cataract surgery at being able to see without glasses. I am not sure I am ready to go without glasses. I will not look right. I have not seen myself without them since fifth grade. That would be about 49 or 50 years ago. I can see myself in the mirror, but I have to be so close that I do not get a good impression of the image.

After I got home there was a phone call with the lab report on Leroy’s leg spot. It is cancerous so he will have to have more taken out. They will do that in the office, but I am to drive him because he might be disorientated when it is finished. Leroy was sorry because, “It is healing nicely now.”

I went ahead and scheduled the surgery for the first time offered even though I do not know Leroy’s schedule. Another day would have been better. He has three church services that day. Two he is only helping with communion and the other he is leading. Will he be up to that? It is hard to say. The caller said he would just need to take it easy for about two days. However Leroy said, “What does taking it easy mean? That is rather nebulous.”

My glasses are expensive (extra charges for such a strong script, thin lenses, progressive lens, non glare, and transition lens) but upon learning the price, I said, “I am so grateful that I can pay this and I will be able to see.”

The optician replied, “I wish everyone had just such an attitude. You are right, seeing is very good.”


Paula

No comments: