Friday, March 17, 2017

Kind People

Hello,

The other night when it was close to closing time I announced, “I’m closing the library in five minutes.”

A younger college age man, stopped looking for more seeds to add to his growing stack of envelops, gathered up his things, and came to give me his report. He talked a short time and then moved to the door.

The older scruffy, smelly guy just kept working on his tablet. At almost the exact minute of the end he gathered up his things, but remained in his easy chair close to the entrance. For some reason at this moment he felt compelled to tell me something about an incident in his past. The words just rolled right out of him.

The young man remained standing at the door. He turned back to look into the room. From time to time he would smile and give me a glance. After a while I realized that he might be waiting to “protect” me from this rather disreputable looking character.

At about five minutes after the old guy lumbered out the door. At that precise moment the young guy waved to me and followed out into the night.

I was pleased that the kid thought about it all. It was very nice of him to wait although I was not afraid to be alone with this old man as I have seen him several times before. I suspect he just likes to visit as he often spends quite a bit of time talking. He seems harmless.


Paula

No comments: