Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Changes

Hello,

Just when I think things have settled into a groove, perhaps a rut, something changes. I really thought we would not be adding many new patrons to our supply at work. Last night/yesterday I think there about five people or families came in for library cards. It seems that frequently people have lived in town for a year before they come to the library. Three of those new people were single men in their 20’s who had just moved to town. What a deal! They all perused the collection carefully and found some books to check out. Shoots down my idea that younger people, especially guys, are not reading very much. I am glad for that to happen.

The abandoned house across the street was demolished yesterday by the city. The general neighborhood feeling is that it will improve the neighborhood. The house was getting so unsafe that the inspector said he did not want to go in it. A large machine with a bucket on a crane attacked it and finished the job this morning.

The neighborhood will look different now. Another neighbor across the street said that raccoons and cats were living in that space. I wonder where they will end up creating a new home. I have not seen a raccoon since we have been here, perhaps they used the back door of that house which I could not see. I do see cats from time to time including one that is surely someone’s pet. At least it was happy to rub against my leg, arch against my hand for petting, and purr loudly.

Leroy road the bike to work today, but he might ride the bus home if it is still raining when he is done. He will leave his bike in the garage at work and ride it home tomorrow.


Paula

No comments: