Thursday, October 21, 2010

I will Vote

Hello,

Leroy’s sister told me that in Iowa there is same day registration. I will be able to vote as long as I have an ID and a bill that was sent to my name and address. I will do my civic duty. Now I have no excuses. I will have to pay more attention to the candidates so I can be a semi informed voter. Most of my information will come from the newspaper. I suppose that is the old way when there is TV and the Internet. When I do watch TV I hear ads from both Iowa and Illinois as if I need more. Most of them seem to be intent on putting someone else down and that bothers me so I don’t listen much.

I walked over to the airport to see where they flew to from this place. Planes go to Chicago and St. Louis. It would appear that this is daily, but when we checked about flying on Christmas day it stated that it was impossible. Burlington is a city of 25-30 thousand so that explains the traffic pattern.

There was a guy sitting outside on a bench when I went in the front door. Inside, however, no one was in sight, but as I was looking at the board behind the ticket desk a woman came out. She appeared to be security or TSA type person. “Do you need the ticket agent?” she wanted to know.

“No I am new in town and just wondered where you could fly to,” I told her, “I have children who live in far flung places.”

It would be nice is we could fly out of here some time. We could walk to the airport dispensing with the parking and use of the car entirely. I think it is only about fifteen minutes from the house on foot. Seems like a stress free type of flying if you like no crowds and smaller planes. I do, Leroy doesn’t. Perhaps the cost differential would be about the same given parking fees and the 1.5 hour drive to the next nearest airport.

I hung out clothes this morning. My hands wondered what it was all about as they got quite cold. Soon I will have to stop doing this or at least wait until the sun is warmer. I thought of my mother because for years she had to hang clothes outside in much colder weather.

Paula

No comments: