Thursday, October 7, 2010

Friday Off

Hello,

Leroy is taking Friday off and I no longer know what day of the week it is. I think it was my suggestion because then he can sometimes have a bit of Saturday off too so it can mean two days off in one week from time to time. Now we both think Friday is Saturday. Oh brain taxing problems.

It is beautiful weather so Leroy came home a little early and we again rode downtown. It was a great ride, but I have to say that it is not so easy and enjoyable to ride the bike after a bug goes up one nostril. Also a truck came quite close and then someone in the next car yelled that I should be on the sidewalk. Some places bikes are banned on the sidewalk. It is not easy to get exercise and save the earth.

We went to the farmer’s market this evening. It was disappointing that there were no greens of any kind. Kohlrabi was not there either. But I did buy some type of squash that they said was like sweet potatoes. We will learn if that is a good thing or not.

The Mississippi is lapping at the banks and even slipping over a little in some places. The flood crest should come in a couple days or so I think I read.

I have been looking for a poster frame for our Alphonse Mucha print. Maybe because we got it in Bratislava it is not the same size as frames sold here. The frame from K-Mart was a bit bigger than the print, but not acceptable without a mat. Then the $10 frame at Shopko seemed like it might do because there was a fake mat. In the end someone suggested I check out Hobby Lobby. The person who was working at the custom frame counter knew of Mucha. I guess that sold me because I went from thinking the cheapest to why not? I think it will look very nice in this regular poster frame matted to perfection. When she was finishing the order she commented, “We have to put on a replacement cost in case we were to damage the print.”

“I suspect we paid about $2 for it,” I said.

“Well since you bought it in Europe it is almost irreplaceable as you are not going back are you?” she wanted to know.

“We would probably not replace it,” I sighed.

“I will put down $100,” she said, “But don’t worry; we almost never damage a print.”

Tonight I looked on the internet and found this print just a little bigger than ours for $79. Wow! And that probably does not include shipping. The value has risen in my eyes even though I have always liked this. Makes the $40 + for the frame worth it.

Paula

No comments: