Saturday, October 30, 2010

Deer

Hello,

“We have not seen any deer in a long time,” Leroy said, “I wonder if they have moved off to other areas.”

As we walked I pointed to a light shape in the early dawn darkness, “Do you think that could be a deer?” I wondered.

“No it is a bench,” Leroy sharp eyes informed me.

A little later I asked, “Are those live deer or statues?”

It was two deer who, after checking us out, went back to eating something off a tree in the yard that was a mere 20 feet from us. They did not mind as we walked away from them. How many deer have we been walking past in the dark?

Beautiful pink was touching the sky in the east as we heard boom, boom, and boom. “I have not heard a gun in a long time, but I wonder if that is duck hunters,” Leroy commented.

The sounds were coming from the direction of the river. We could not even be sure if it was the Iowa or Illinois side.

By the time we got back to the house it was light enough to see. Getting close to home we caught up to a woman struggling with two large husky type dogs.

“Who is walking whom?” I asked.

“It is hard to say,” she laughed and added, “they just saw another dog and they are going a little crazy.”

Paula

No comments: