Sunday, May 10, 2015

Plants

Hello,

I have three plants at the school library. Thursday seemed like a good time to bring them home even though I had not talked to anyone about being there. Because I do not know when school is out there were still children around. I was a bit dismayed when I signed in that the person I know was not there. Luckily this person streamlined my entrance and I went back to get those plants. I decided to leave the Christmas Cactus because I lost one of them last summer. I am concerned that it is the conditions here that caused the trouble. Instead I got down the spider plant, tucked it on the bottom shelf of a cart, and gathered the fern. These plants are both quite large. As I went into the hall a boy and an adult moved past. The boy exclaimed, “Wow, look at that plant!”

All along the way kids were turning around and staring. One shouted, “Plant attack!” One child even wondered they would fit in my truck. “I only have a small car and I am sure I can get them in.” I assured them and myself.

At the car I did have to fold them in, but I got both on the back seat. When I walked back into the building with the cart I heard people talking about the trail of leaves. The fern had a lot of dry leaves on it and so I dripped a lot of them. Made me think of Hansel and Gretel and the bread crumb trail. Both of these plants are hanging on the clothes line. I do like them; however I suspect I should repot both of them. The fern I would chop into pieces so it would not be so large. It takes some courage for me to tackle that.

I do miss the big Christmas cactus. If it stays in school all year it does not seem like my plant because I do not go there. Another dilemma to be solved. I do have two smaller cacti from my sister. They sort of fill the void. But that cactus at school is the one I have had since we got married. It will be 44 years old in December. I cannot abandon it.


Paula

No comments: