Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Outdoors

Hello,

Every once in a while I hear people talk about the feeling of coming home in a place that has never been their home. When I went back to my real home town for the funeral, I felt that I had come home. A feeling of love and appreciation for the beauty of the area just filled my soul. I like the hills and I liked all of the wooded areas with trees that had their new leaves. I had forgotten that sometimes, even though it is not the mountains you can lose the radio station when you go down in the valley. Instead of annoying me, that pleased me. Also there is one hill that is marked as a 7% grade. I believe that is quite steep even if this was a rather short hill. There used to be a lookout tower by Elizabeth. It is still disappointing to me that it has been taken down and not replaced. I loved going up there and just looking all around.

Today I spent a bit of time outside enjoying this neighborhood and delivering the neighborhood newsletter. I finished about half of my share. When I started I thought it cool so I was bundled up, but before I was done, I was sweating and had to remove my jacket. I will deliver more newsletters tomorrow, but will dress a bit lighter. I am also hoping to get myself to the community garden as there is still a bit more weeding to do there. But then I will also be out hanging up clothes since it is to be a nice day.

My winter onions are growing fast and going to seed in a hurry too. They do not really go to seed in the traditional onion sense, but they develop new onions up there that fall to the ground and grow more onions. I suspect that means I should share more of them so I gave some to the neighbors across the street. Soon I will have bulbs to share from those seed growths on the top. These onions really are an early producer. I put some in the community garden, but last year I noticed someone kept taking off those pods. I just hope they planted them instead of throwing them away. I had planned on a big patch of them this spring, but it is quite small because they were not allowed to reproduce. This year we are putting up signs with instructions, hopefully that will help them to expand.



Paula

No comments: