Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Leroy teaches me

Hello,

Last night as we were lying in bed I asked, “What do you know about the 008 field? Do you use it?” Do you suppose any other couples have had this conversation in bed?

Leroy started to go into a rather lengthy explanation. “I cannot remember this stuff; I will have to come visit you to see what you are talking about.”

That is just what I did today. I now know more than I did, but I am not sure I really want to know or know enough o correct errors in the field. According to the ILL(interlibrary loan) group our catalog records are 18% corrupt. Not wanting to be corrupt, I asked for a list of the bad records. The result was a rather cryptic report of 58 pages. These are just one or two liners that tell the title or part of it and what the error is. When I glanced through it I saw that many of them refer to the 008 field which I have never dealt with. To say the least it is difficult to repair something that has many parts none of which I knew about before now. It was helpful for Leroy to go to library school after computer catalogues were in rather common use. I learned the paper card. Then when I was working I did go to some workshops and learned a lot there, but there is still more to learn. Leroy tells me that he also learned much more at workshop, but his workshops were later than mine.

Leroy came home in a great mood. He likes dispensing knowledge.

I rode my bike to Leroy’s work place. Spotting my bike helmet, two people asked if I also ride my bike to work just as Leroy does. I felt sad to say no, but it is about 13 miles for me instead of three and I work until 8:00 two nights and go at 8 one morning so it is not really easy for me to do that. If it were only five miles I could do it like a breeze.


Paula

No comments: