Saturday, May 30, 2015

In the neighborhood

Hello,

I took an early morning walk into a part of the neighborhood that I seldom go to. I should go there more as it is uphill a good bit of the way, giving me more of a workout. I saw this perfect statue of a deer on a front lawn. As I was wondering why I had not noticed such good work before it flicked its ears and then twitched its tail. As I got closer it stepped back a little before it darted across the street. I had thought there might be deer around here, but I have not seen one before. It was beautiful even though probably unwelcome. I remember how vigorously they can eat prized plantings. Is my lettuce safe? At least on my street the houses are packed a bit tighter and there are a number of dogs even though those dogs are inside at night, they still might be a deterrent.

Another tree has come done across the street. I was sad to hear the roar of the shredder yesterday as all the branches and much of the trunk disappeared. I suppose it is on the city rotting list just as the one next to it. After the workers had gone I did look at that trunk, to discover that more than half of the diameter was no longer supporting life. These were both big old trees that contributed much to the shade and ambience of the street.

The city has been good about replacing them so I expect to see a planting in the fall. Since many of these houses are 100 years old the trees are ancient as well.

I was able to plant a tomato, three peppers and an eggplant in our front garden. Leroy is gone so I picked out the spots. He will be fine with my choices and just happy that I got the job done.

Our landlords were gone for a few days so I was the only one in the house on Thursday night. Even though we have quite separate spaces I was aware of being in charge and responsible. Guess I am not ready to live alone in a house.


Paula

No comments: