Friday, May 15, 2015

A shift Car

Hello,

I have driven a shift car almost from the minute I learned to drive, which would be 52 years. In that span of time I have driven several different vehicles. For some reason the car that we currently own is one of the least friendly. I used to drive that car most of the time so I was quite used to it and “handled” it quite well. Leroy who did not often drive it had a bit of a tussle with it each time he drive it. I felt quite superior in those moments. About six months ago we decided because I was driving the longer distance to work, I should take the older car which has the easier shifting mechanism. It seemed to make more sense to wear out the older car first. Today I decided to drive the newer car because I had parked in the garage too close to Leroy’s bike; also it had not been driven in a week. I used that car on my shopping errands this morning. Most of the time when I started forward, I managed to jerk around a bit, one time even squealing the tires. I noticed that that the car behind me dropped back a safe distance. They might have thought I was a new driver or some kid showing off or some old person who wanted to return to another time of life. At any rate I got home in one piece and my shifting was smoother by that time.

Leroy has been sick/allergy prone again. His head is full. He came home Wednesday with this malady. Thursday and Friday (today) he did not go to work. I am not good as a care taker. I always suspect he is putting on more of an act than it is worth. He got different care from his mother than I am able to give him. He once had a sore throat when we visited. I had never seen such an outpouring of concern. At least I talk to him once in a while and feed him, but I do not fuss over him. I believe he would like that. He was quite pleased because the seniors group at church sent him a get well card. Glad someone is looking out for him. He is much better today as he even walked down to the garden while I was there. That is about three blocks one way.


Paula

No comments: