Monday, May 11, 2015

Cousins

Hello,

Besides paying my respects at this funeral one of the big reasons for going was the hope of seeing some of my cousins. I was truly rewarded in that regard. Besides the two sisters of my cousin who had died, there were seven other grandchildren on my father’s side who were able to attend. Six of us sat together at the meal following the service and visited until it was all being cleaned up. Two of these cousins lived close, two others drove about as far as I did, and one was from Florida. She happened to be visiting a daughter in Iowa and drove over. Even though I am not really that close to any of these people, all but one are quite a bit older than I am, it was wonderful to reconnect. Growing up, as you might imagine, the older cousins did not have so much to do with us younger ones.

I will make an effort to create some more connections maybe even calling once in a while. I do send Christmas cards to some of them. We did not do a count, but I know five of our 29 1st cousins have already died.

My brother was also at the funeral, but he went to his own home for a meal. I did visit with him and his family for some time. That is good too since I do not often see them. Guess we just let things slide and other priorities get in the way.

I am realizing that some of the most important things in my life are not where I am putting much energy, such as staying in touch. I resolve to do better. Think I can do that?


Paula

No comments: