Friday, May 29, 2015

All in a day’s work

Hello,

Yesterday at work a women asked my co-worker if two of us working there would witness a signature on a social security form. That seemed like an ok idea. Hoping it would be ok, I said, “Yes we can watch you sign and then sign it too.”

“Well, it is not my signature. It is my mother’s.” she said. “And it  has already been signed with an X.”

Oh dear what is all this with no mom in this room, I wondered as I asked, “She could not sign it?” I am also wondering if her mother is alive or not. I know that she had been quite ill and in a nursing home.

The patron had me read the part on the back of the form that stated it could be signed with an X and witnessed by two people.  My co-worker said firmly, “We cannot sign this.”

I was so relieved to hear her say that. I was busy trying to work my thoughts around what was being asked and how to handle it in a diplomatic manner that I was tongue tied. The patron was not very happy, but I too did not think we could sign as witnesses when we did not witness anything. Seems to me the word witness means to see or be present. Her take on it was that we just had to see the mark and sign rather than see it being put there.

Something else I would like to know is what boy is using the toilet, filling it with so much paper that I have to plunge it. Not my favorite part of working. I suppose that would be one perk to working in a larger place, I could call a custodian to do the dirty work. At least I have had experience with this task in the past so I do know what to do. Probably not a good thing to do, but I once asked the man who reported it if he would do the plunging honors if I gave him the plunger. He did help me. For which I am grateful.

And you thought librarians sat around reading books all day.


Paula

No comments: