Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Working


Hello,

Yesterday was a day when students did not go to school; consequently I had a busy library. On Monday afternoon I work alone. Eating my evening meal became a stretched out spastic affair.

We show a movie on these no school days. The number of kids, usually elementary age, hasn’t ceased to amaze me. Most of them have access to movies at home why would it matter to come here? Maybe we still like sharing an experience with others. They tend to get treats be it sugar loaded or popcorn and settle back on the cushions or chairs. Often the movie is one that is new on DVD and no one has yet checked it out. That adds some to the specialness.

The attendance for the movie was down, but I think that was good. Or it was just all good kids who were there. One dad asked his children when the movie was over, “How was it watching on the big wall?”

Given the enthusiastic response I might guess that that is why they like to come.

Summer is coming. That means the busy season. I did evict a boy and luckily his cronies all went with him. I will have to get my evictor polished for the days ahead when some of these kids use the library as a recreation hall.

Today for work I will have a coworker with me and there will be school. That probably means it would have been easier to handle this day by myself. The library will probably be quiet as they once were in the past. I enjoy my fellow workers so I am looking forward to it. I will be better able to get some cataloging done. I am not so good at doing that at the front desk with interruptions. If I am at the front desk I try to do things like attaching barcodes, or stamping the books. Or anything else that does not take much concentration.

Paula

No comments: