Monday, May 13, 2013

Life Pace


Hello,

Miriam moaned, “How am I going to do it all? I need child care, a maid, cook, and a chauffeur. Mom when you write your letter ask for some help for me. I am feeling desperate and so tired.”

Today was the first day of class. She learned that she should have been looking at her school email account because she is already behind. She should have finished certain reading assignments already. It has not been so many years, only 12 since she graduated, but student life has changed. Most of the people in her class are those who are just going straight through school so they are used to the routine. She was in class today all afternoon and a little beyond. Tomorrow she will go early in the morning, but come home sooner in the day.

I believe that she was not exaggerating when she complained about being tired. She certainly looked as if sleep were her best friend. That emotional energy use certainly is draining.

Andy cooked the entrée tonight making a chicken dish. Why is meat always the entrée in this culture? I prepared rice and green beans. Miriam could not imagine how she would study tonight. She had a class at the gym. She went to that hoping that she would get some energy from some mysterious source in her being.

I picked up Nora school, played a game with Nora, made bread, hung out clothes, brought in clothes, folded them and sorted more or less accurately, picked up Olivia at school, and fed the girls a late afternoon snack. I will do some of those same things tomorrow plus I will drop off Olivia for school. Nora will be with me all day. I hope to convince her to go the library as on Saturday I brought home a book that I had already read. Can you imagine forgetting the title of a book you have read? Nora did not want to go there today, but I hope in the early morning she will be open to that idea. We also need to go to the store and make more granola. Miriam has asked that I make several batches so she can have it on hand for some time after I leave.

Paula

No comments: