Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Trip Home


Hello,

Miriam left for early service while Andy, Leroy, and the girls waited to take me to the airport. I was surprised at how many people were waiting to go through security when I got there an hour ahead of departure. Generally I do not fly on Sunday so I thought it might be a slow day. The gate waiting area was loaded with people; certainly there were no seats where I could sit in a row by myself. I think there must have been about five planes going out at close departure times.

It was an uneventful flight to Denver. I sat by the window so I enjoyed the snowy mountains the entire time. The woman on the aisle had an infant boy who might have been six to nine months. He was good, but he clearly wanted to move around more. When I had to go to use the facilities he was settled back quite comfortably against her. I told her, “I am quite agile and I think I can step over you so you will not have to get up. I could face you and brace myself against the back of your seat on either side of your head. If you want to try that I am fairly certain I can do it.”

“I am willing,” she said.

So I faced her, put my hands on the sides of her head, lifted my leading leg high up in the air, set it down, and lifted the second leg to drag it over. I think I brushed her leg a little with the last leg.

A wide eyed flight attendant was watching. “I thought that would help her not to need to get up with the baby,” I explained.

“You did that very gracefully,” she exclaimed with a big smile.

Both flights were good, but we did experience quite a lot of bumps on the trip from Denver to Cedar Rapids. Seems to me we could have been over Nebraska about that time. I wonder if that was when tornados were active Sunday afternoon. There certainly was disturbance above the clouds.

Paula

No comments: