Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Homecoming


Hello,

When I landed in Cedar Rapids I realized that Leroy and I had not discussed where the parking lot card would be. I even planned in my mind what I would do if I could not find it. Things such as: call for a ride or leave the car there if Leroy had taken it with him to Salt Lake. Course the first task was to find the car. Leroy had not only given me verbal instructions, but he had also drawn a map that I had clutched in my hand for reference. On exiting the airport I could not distinguish long term parking from short term parking. I wanted long term. I asked an old guy who appeared to be waiting for something to come by. Pointing in both directions he told me, “They both are long term.”

At about that time I saw “B1” on a pole and beyond that “B2”. “Thanks,” I said as I headed off in the direction of E1. Leroy’s directions stated that I would be one row of cars off from that. Unfortunately I did not know if it was before or after that pole. By the map it looked after, however I did not spot the car by walking up and down the rows. How many gray cars were parked at the CR airport Sunday afternoon? Plenty. I next asked a guy getting into a van if he could see it since he was sitting up higher in the world. He did not see it, but I just realized that I needed to check the rows before the pole more carefully and there it was. I kissed it hello in my mind before I got in. The card so I could get out of the lot was easy to find.

“Oh no, it is not starting,” I thought as I turned the key. Then I realized I had not put in the clutch. Miriam’s car is an automatic. In one short week I forgot all about clutches. Now I could drive on home to my own bed. Aah, comfort!

Paula

No comments: