Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Walking Around


Walking Around
May 14, 2013

Hello,

At dawn I got up ready to walk but before Katie (the dog) and I could get out the door a small girl asked if she could come too. I said, “Sure, go potty and get dressed.”

She took off at a run, but the next thing I knew I could hear her dad talking to her. It seems she made a detour into the room with her sleeping sister. So now I had to wait for another guest. It did not take so very long before we were off. We only go around the block with the dog because she has arthritis in her joints. Her heart does not want to be left at home.

The girls ran fast, but they know just to go around the block and not cross streets. I ran from time to time, but not fast and not for long. I have read that running rather than walking helps for bone health. At least it said that even one minute of running makes a difference.

On the walks we go under trees that are just loosing flower petals or seed pods. The girls love it when they stand under the trees and I shake the branches a bit causing nature to rain down on them. I should have a movie camera with me. It looks great as pedals cover the tops of their heads.

Katie often poops on these walks. This morning I forgot the poop bag. She of course went on the grass of a pristine lawn. I took everyone home and then went pack with bag in hand only to find that the sprinklers had turned on. I was unwilling to get so wet in the early morning chill so I have vowed to pick it up tomorrow.

Andy, Nora, and I walked Olivia to her school. It is a short walk, but certainly added steps. Nora was willing to go to the library today. The sad thing was that when I got there I realized that I had not brought the library card number. As soon as we dropped off the books we turned around and walked back home. At least I did not have the weight of books for two of those segments. I now have a book that I had not read before.

 Just before lunch I looked at my pedometer. It had 9530 steps on it. I am going to call it 10,000 for the day. Yesterday I only wore it when taking walks that could be labeled such and it showed over 10,000 steps. I am getting a work out.

Paula

No comments: